The Poetic Potential Blog
Here, I’m inviting you to take a deep dive into the world of poetry (and writing in general). We will explore poetry’s power, potential, and purpose, showing a world that doesn’t always believe in it that it has a well-deserved place in our past, present, and future.
- 3 Life Lessons Learned From Publishing Two BooksOne year ago, I published her favorite color was sunshine yellow, my debut poetry book. This was the day I finally fulfilled my dream of becoming an author, years in the making. One day ago, I received an email from my proofreader, letting me know that my debut nonfiction book,
- The Story of Poetic PotentialThe one piece of writing advice that I have heard repeated over and over again is simple. “Write what you know.” It was usually a dismissive thought because, of course, it’s easy to write about topics you are familiar with. But I never realized how important that simple writing could
- Importance of PoetryBeing a poet isn’t seen as a glamorous title – more of a struggle-to-pay-the-bills, get-a-real-job kind of title. In the face of global crises, however, it is very obvious that poetry has been resurfacing as an important part of people’s lives. For myself, I’ve realized that poetry has four main
- Self Doubt in WritingDo you ever get the feeling when you look at a word and you know it’s spelled right, and that it’s a word, but it just doesn’t look right to you after staring at it a million times? That’s like the self doubt that creeps in when I start to
- Words For ChangeSomething that I have always loved about words is how they have the power to create these powerful images that you can see almost as clearly as if they are right in front of you. That’s something that drew me to poetry – having the ability to string words together
- How I Stopped Being AfraidWriting has consumed my life for its entirety. I can’t even begin to tell you how many different notebooks I have gone through – a new one for each story idea, of course. I fell in love with world-building and meeting characters that appeared to me out of thin air.